An observation step allows observers to collect evidence in two ways: Scripting and Quickfire.
Scripting notes are the text observers enter in the Scripting pane and can be shared or unshared in their entirety by clicking the blue Share button in the bottom left corner of the page.
Evidence is a tagged portion of scripting notes or any entry created in Quickfire.
- Evidence collected in Quickfire can be shared by selecting the Share Evidence button in the top left corner of the indicator panel. Quickfire is available only to Observers.
- Evidence collected in the Scripting pane can be selectively shared and unshared by selecting the Share Evidence on and off as observers and learners tag indicators.
Collecting Evidence in the Scripting Pane
By default, observations open in scripting mode. Observers can use scripting mode to apply a narrative approach to recording the observation. Scripting allows observers to enter observation notes and then tag them to indicators later. Please note that you can edit your notes, but not the evidence you've tagged in the scripting screen.
- Navigate to the Observation step within an Observation Activity.
- Click in the scripting text box and enter text to document the observation.
- Your notes will save automatically upon clicking outside of the box There is no Save button.
- Click the Add Aligned Indicators button.
- Highlight the text you wish to tag for evidence.
- In the sliding panel, select Indicators or Goals to open the indicators. Please note, the Indicators represent the Learner's assigned rubric. Goals represent Learner created sticky note goals.
- Select the checkboxes next to the Indicators or Goals that you want to tag for the evidence.
- Select Share Evidence to share the tags.
- To add a comment, click Add Comment at the bottom of the indicators panel and enter text in the text box that displays.
- Click Save at the bottom of the indicators panel.
- Repeat until you are finished collecting evidence.
Helpful Hint: You can see all the evidence you collected by navigating to the Collected Evidence tab of the Activity.
Collecting Evidence in the Quickfire Pane
Observers use Quickfire to capture an action-by-action record of events. Quickfire allows observers to enter evidence and select indicators in the same window. Please note that learners cannot view the quickfire pane and cannot tag quickfire evidence. Learners must use the Collected Evidence tab to view an observer's quickfire entries.
- Slide the button to the right to view the Quickfire Pane.
- Select Indicators or Goals to open the indicators. Please note, the Indicators represent the Learner's assigned rubric. Goals represent Learner created sticky note goals.
- Enter the observation text in the note field.
- Select indicators as desired from the indicator panel on the right of the screen.
- Select Share Evidence to immediately share.
- Click the Save button. These notes will save with a time stamp.
Helpful Hint: You can also change the shared status of individual pieces of saved evidence in the Collected Evidence tab.
To learn more about using the Collected Evidence screen to modify the shared status of evidence, see Modifying Evidence Sharing in Collected Evidence.
To learn more about editing or deleting tagged evidence, see Deleting and Editing Tagged Evidence.