An observation step allows observers to collect evidence in two ways: Scripting and Quickfire. Scripting notes, which are the text observers enter in the Scripting pane, can be shared or unshared in their entirety. Evidence, which is a tagged portion of scripting notes or any entry in quickfire, can be shared by toggling the sharing button to the shared state, but this impacts only the notes taken after sharing is activated. Evidence can be selectively shared and unshared by toggling the evidence sharing buttons on and off as observers and learners tag indicators.
Collecting Evidence in the Scripting Pane
By default, observations open in scripting mode. Observers can use scripting mode to apply a narrative approach to recording the observation. Scripting allows observers to enter observation notes and then tag them to indicators later. Please note that you can edit your notes, but not the evidence you've tagged in the scripting screen. You must use the Collected Evidence feature to modify tagged evidence.
- Open the observation step.
- Click in the scripting text box and enter text to document the observation.
- Indicators are displayed in a panel on the right (see above).
Helpful Hint: The indicators panel slides to the right if there is not enough room to display. Just hover on the panel to expand it.
- To tag scripting notes, highlight the text you wish to tag as evidence.
- With text highlighted, select the check boxes next to the indicators that you want to tag for evidence.
- Click Save at the bottom of the indicator panel. Selected and saved indicators change to green.
- Repeat until you are finished collecting evidence.
Helpful Hint: Remember to click Save after tagging indicators for each selection you make.
- To comment about the evidence, click Add a Comment below the indicators panel and enter a comment in the text box that displays.
- Click Save when you finish commenting or Cancel to exit comments.
- Tag evidence to goals, if desired, by opening the Goals tab and following the same process as for indicators.
You can see a tally of all evidence collected across the observation in the Collected Evidence item on the navigation bar.
To share scripting notes, click Share at the bottom of the screen.
Once you click Share, all notes on the screen are shared with the learner, and the notification text changes to explain what is shared. When you click Unshare these notes, sharing is turned off and all notes on the screen are hidden from the learner.
To share tagged evidence, click the Share evidence button at the top of the indicators panel.
Sharing tagged evidence is different from notes, though, because sharing and not sharing evidence only impacts the evidence tagged while the button is toggled on or off. It does not retroactively share all tagged evidence.
If you know you will share your tagged evidence with the learner, you may want to click Share Evidence before you begin to tag and then keep the sharing option toggled on.
Click Sharing Observation Evidence - Scripting Pane to view a short video that explains how to share scripting notes and evidence.
Observers use Quickfire to capture an action-by-action record of events. Quickfire allows observers to enter evidence and select indicators in the same window. Please note that learners cannot view the quickfire pane and cannot tag quickfire evidence. Learners must use the Collected Evidence feature on the toolbar to view an observer's quickfire entries.
- Click the Quickfire icon to open a note field and indicators table.
- Enter observation text in the note field.
- Select indicators, as desired, from the table below. Use the forward and back arrows to scroll through the indicators. Indicators can be tagged later if necessary.
- Click Add Note to complete and save the entry.
Helpful Hint: Please note that you cannot edit tagged evidence in the quickfire screen. You must use the Collected Evidence screen to modify tagged evidence.
To share evidence, click the Share evidence button at the top of the indicators panel. Sharing and not sharing evidence only impacts the evidence tagged while the button is toggled on or off. It does not retroactively share all tagged evidence.the Share button above the Quickfire text field.
If you know you will share your tagged evidence with the learner, you may want to click Share Notes before you begin using the QuickFire pane and then keep the sharing option toggled on.
Click Sharing Observation Evidence - Quickfire Pane to view a short video that explains how to share quickfire evidence.
By default, evidence sharing is not enabled when you open the Scripting or Quickfire screens for the first time. You must click the share button to activate sharing. You can toggle sharing on and off, if you wish, to control sharing as you tag.
Toggling a button to the share or not share state impacts only the evidence tagged after the button is clicked. It does not retroactively share or unshare previously tagged evidence. If you wish, you may toggle between sharing states as you work to share some items and not others.
Review the status area text to the left of the sharing button if you're unsure whether the evidence you tag and save will be shared.
Helpful Hint: You can also change the shared status of individual pieces of saved evidence in Collected Evidence. To learn more about using the Collected Evidence screen to modify the shared status of evidence, see Modifying Evidence Sharing.