SLOs are typically started within a meeting by clicking an SLO step, but they can also be started from the Goal Planning page if an activity is not yet scheduled. The instructions below provide basic directions for adding SLOs. You can get more specific information about your process within your state or district's guidelines.
Creating an SLO
- Click the SLO step in the activity overview, or if the activity is not yet created, click the goal note on the home page that is marked Ready to plan your goals or SLOs?
- When the Goal Planning Page opens, click Student Learning Objectives.
- Click Add first Student Learning Objectives.
Naming and Adding Details to Your SLO
When the SLO opens, complete the form fields as required by your district to identify, describe and categorize the assessment. The fields available vary by state or district, so your view may be different. The following instructions offer general guidelines to completing fields. Please refer to your state or district's guidelines for specific entry instructions.
- Untitled - name this SLO– Click in the field and enter a meaningful name. When you begin to type, the placeholder text disappears and is replaced by your entry.
- Subject of Measure / Content Area – Some states/districts ask users to select a subject or content area from a menu. Click in the field to open the menu, and then choose the appropriate subject. To remove a selection, click the "x" on the right side of the tile.
- Details - The Details section is collapsible, and contains all the fields that are needed to explain and describe the details and parameters of your student learning goals. Complete the detail fields according to your district's guidelines. The fields expand as you type to accommodate your text.
Adding a Measure to an SLO
Measures are added in the section that follows the Details section. Choose the assessment type used to measure performance and then complete any additional required fields your state/district requires.
- Choose your measure / assessment type from the menu.
- If other fields display, enter required information in any other fields that display.
- Ratings fields may be pre-populated, but can be modified if overwriting is enabled by your district. To overwrite a rating field, click the edit button that displays when you hover on the upper right corner of the field and then enter text.
- When you are finished, click Save this SLO at the bottom of the screen.
Adding More Measures to an SLO
- If you wish to add other measures to your SLO, click Add another Measure below the current measure.
- Complete the fields in the new measurement section that displays.
- Click Save this SLO when you are ready to save the entire SLO.
When you add a second measure to an SLO, the weighting bar at the top of the screen adds a second weight, and reduces the first measure's weight, so they both carry the same weight. You can override and adjust the weighting, if needed. See Changing a Measure's Weight to learn more.
Removing a Measure from an SLO
- Click REMOVE THIS MEASURE in the upper right corner of the measure (see image above).
- In the dialog box, click Yes, remove this measure or Cancel to exit the deletion.
Changing a Measure's Weight
Multiple measures are easily added to your SLOs, and you can easily adjust the weighting - the software manages the weights to ensure the combined weight equals 100%.
- At the top of the screen, position your cursor on the slider to the right of the weight you wish to modify, and drag the slider to the desired weight.
- Alternately, click show keyboard input under the slider to open text fields, which you can use to enter numeric weights.
Creating Additional SLOs
- Click the Add another SLO link under the Save button and complete the fields as directed in Creating an SLO above.
The new SLO has a different color identifier, which matches its accompanying weight slider.
- Add additional measures, if needed.
- Click Save this SLO.
Deleting an SLO
- To delete an SLO, click the REMOVE THIS SLO link at the top right of the SLO.
- In the dialog box, click Yes, remove this SLO or Cancel to exit the deletion.
- When you are finished with the assessment and ready to submit for approval, click Set Objectives & Request Approval at the bottom of the screen.
- Click Yes, set objectives to complete the save or Cancel to quit.
Archived SLOs from previous years can be accessed from the school year menu in the top right. Click the year you wish to view.
There is no formal print option for SLOs, but you can use your browser's print tool or Ctrl/P (Windows machines) or Cmd/P (Macs) to send a copy of your SLO screens to your printer.